Friday, July 25, 2008

Just A Little More Mystery

I was going to write about the book I just finished today but I ran into this great article so I'm going to write about it instead. You will get to hear about The Satanic Verses next time!

I'm friends on a social network with the author R.N. Morris and he pointed out this article today in the Books section of The Independent. It's called "Crime fiction: Around the world in 80 sleuths". It lists eighty locales and talks about a detective or two in each location. Some are familiar but some are new to me and I can't wait to check them out.

Here are some of my favorites that are listed:

Greenland -- Smilla's Sense of Snow (the article translates it as Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow) by Peter Hoeg
Yorkshire -- The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
St. Petersburg -- A Gentle Axe by R.N. Morris
Moscow -- The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin
West Point, New York -- The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard
The Caribbean -- A Caribbean Mystery by Agatha Christie
Egypt -- Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
New Zealand -- Vintage Murder by Ngaio Marsh

I hope to do write-ups on most of these later because they are really good reads. And that leaves only 72 more detectives and series for me to discover. I can't wait!

Good reading,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment